- Middle and High School students
- Middle and High School teachers
Tools and equipment needed
- A marine vessel with enough capacity to receive a class of 20 students.
- A series of oceanographic instruments, some of which are built by the students themselves.
Means to engage
- Instrument purchasing and maintenance
- Production of pedagogical resources
Partners to involve
- Local interpretation centre or museum: Center for Oceanographic Research in the Eastern south Pacific at Universidad de Concepcion
- Local authorities, education department: Bureau of Education of the city of Talcahuano
- Business and private partner: ESSBIO S.A.
- National agencies, national programs: Programa EXPLORA-CONICYT
- Professional network: World Ocean Network
1. Establishing the team and assigning responsibilities
2. Writing of the “School at Sea” handbook for teachers and students
3. Selection of teachers and students to participate during the pilot program
4. Planning with captain about schedules, Security, Permissions and Navigation issues.
5. Creation and maintenance of website
6. Meeting with participant teachers
7. Sending of news to the media
1. Day at Sea
2. Process evaluation
3. Post-activity meetings with teachers
4. Following up activities at participant schools
5. Final activity with all participants
6. Graduation of participants at the end of the year becoming Ocean citizens of the world.
7. Final evaluation
8. Report writings
Information and contact
ORGANIZATION : Centro AquaSendas / Non-profit community organization, CHILE
PRESIDENT Jessica P. Bórquez, MSc
Executive Director: Luis A. Pinto, PhD
Oceanographer and marine educator
Facultad de Ciencias Naturales y Oceanográficas
Universidad de Concepción
MISION To create awareness and produce a positive change in the community about aquatic ecosystems by fostering interest and develop knowledge about natural and social water issues
- Live the experience of ocean education on board a marine vessel.
- To learn hands-on from marine researchers about their activities at sea.
- Observe and reflect upon their city from a maritime perspective.
- Share learning in a collaborative environment with other students in the Bay of Concepcion.
Education and Mobilisation
Bureau of Education of the city of Talcahuano / ESSBIO S.A. / Programa EXPLORA-CONICYT
PROGRAM SCHOOL AT SEA
Latin America and the Caribbean